7.10.2010

DIY cupcake toppers

Cupcake toppers seem to be the new trend for cupcakes these days.  I have seen some beautiful and very detailed ones for purchase on various sites.  The problem for me was that I couldn't justify spending so much on something that was going to get thrown away.  So, I decided to make my own.  I had placed an order for some scrumptious cupcakes from Bella & Ava for a small baby shower and thought this would be a perfect opportunity to try my hand at making them.  The shower was more of a luncheon welcoming the baby who had already been born and the cupcakes were to be the main focus.  I had Bella & Ava make red velvet and vanilla cupcakes with green, teal and blue frosting.  I also bought special cupcake wrappers at Micheal's to add a little flare.

Now it was time for the fun part!  I used two different sizes of craft hole punches and old scrapbook paper left over from a different project.  I punched out large circles from the pattern papers and small circles from the solid colored papers.  I glued the circles together and used a stamp of a little chick to complete them.  I glued the completed toppers on lollipop sticks using a hot glue gun and let them dry.

That's it, super easy!  The best part, you can use scraps you already have to create something unique.  I did have several different designs but this is the only one I managed to snag.  Everyone loved them so much they kept them and the cupcakes were gone in minutes!


No comments:

Post a Comment