7.22.2010

Train Party

For my son's 3rd birthday I knew I wanted to have a train theme but didn't necessarily want to do Thomas.  I decided on an orange and teal color scheme and went from there.  We had planned to have it at a park but with the weather being unpredictable this year, we decided to have it somewhere else.  Instead, it was held at an indoor kids playhouse which made it a lot less stressful for me.

I decided on only a few decorations and having the cake be the main focus.  I used teal and orange plates, napkins and silverware.  For food we did pinwheel sandwiches, meat and cheeses, fruit and mini quiches.  Along with creme puffs and chocolate covered pretzels for something sweet.  My mom and I made the chocolate covered pretzels using white and milk chocolate and blue and orange sprinkles.  Check out this recipe on Food Network from Paula Deen on how to make these yummy treats.


I made a banner from scrapbook paper and twine rope. Since he was having two parties I got to use it both times, so that worked out nicely :)  The second banner picture shows paper balloon lanterns I used as decor for both parties as well.




I found train lollipops at Oriental Trading which I used as centerpieces for the little tables they had set up for the kids.  I filled tiny vases with sand and the lollipops, very easy!  I also included the lollipops in the kids favor bags along with a train whistle, tattoos and bubbles.


And finally, the cake!  Actually it was a cupcake cake that my friend Cecille, from Bella & Ava designed for me.  It was everything I wanted and my son loved it as well!  the train, stars and "3" were made of fondant and it really was amazing to look at and eat :)


All in all, it was a fun party with simple touches to make it more personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment